6th Grade: Complete and submit work on Google Classroom by the end of the day
7th Grade: Remember to Log in With your Riverton Email or paste whats below in your browser, then go to Human Biology click and then scroll down to 11.35 Respiratory System Heath for today's reading.
11.35 Respiratory System Health
FlexBooks® 2.0 > CK-12 Life Science For Middle School > Respiratory System Health
1. Read the Article on Respiratory System Health.
2. Explain how knowing about respiratory health could help you today.
Explore I and Explore II: Use the resources below to answer the questions that follow.
Explore More I
The Genetics of Lung Health and Lung Disease at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc8oWAzi1FI (2:57)
1. Why are scientists studying the genetics of lung disease?
2. What do scientists hope will come out of this research?
3. How many areas of the genome have scientists found that are associated with COPD?
4. Are these scientists engaged in basic or applied research? Explain your reasoning fully.
Explore More II
Smog and Health Effects at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROf4PeRlJsM (2:31
1. How many days a year does Los Angeles have unhealthy air?
2. What are the potential health effects of this air? Who is most at risk? Why do you think risk is higher for these groups?
3.What are you supposed to do on days of unhealthy air?
1. What are lifestyle diseases.
2. What is the relationship between smoking and lifestyle diseases?
4. What are two things you can do to keep your respiratory system healthy?
5. Explain how washing your hands can help you prevent catching a cold.
Due at the end of the day in Google Classroom.
For John Hopkins and Caltech:
Wednesday April 1, 2020: Read and answer the questions on the Newsela article: Play it safe: What kids should know about the coronavirus outbreak due Thursday 8pm. Please login to Newsela to complete the assignment.
For Rice and Brandeis:
Wednesday April 1, 2020: View and answer questions on EdPuzzle video - phylogeny & phylogenetic trees due Thursday at 8am