Emory: p89 Q3,5
1. Read and annotate the different arguments for the issue you have been assigned
2. Chose a specific claim and write a one paragraph argument based on the claim of the convention delegate, and from your own critical thinking and background knowledge.
3. Be ready to debate your claim/issue tomorrow in class
Caltech/Johns Hopkins: (Handout)
1. Read and annotate John O'Sullivan Quotes
2. Complete Guiding Questions
3. Take Home Quiz: (Answer questions below on a separate piece of loose leaf paper)
- Why did Americans think they were so special?
- Are you surprised by the reasons that O'Sullivan gives for expansion? Why or why not?
- Do you think he really believes that god wants Americans to expand?
- The theory that Americans are special is called "American Exceptionalism." It's the idea that America has had such a unique history and has become so powerful that there's something really special about it. What do you think about this theory?