6th Grade: Complete and submit work on Google Classroom by the end of the day
|File Size:||19 kb|
7th Grade: Complete and submit work on Google Classroom by the end of the day
Good morning, Scholars! Today, You are going to complete this assignment while I am participating in Professional Development.
I CAN: DESCRIBE THE START OF THE ABOLITION MOVEMENT IN THE UNITED STATES.
FOCUS QUESTION: WOULD YOU EXPECT THE ANTI-SLAVERY MOVEMENT TO HAVE BEEN STRONGER IN THE NORTH OR THE SOUTH?
Yesterday, we had such a great discussion about the launching of the Reform Movement in the United States.
Today you are going to read about the start of the Abolition Movement in the United States. As slavery expanded in the South, some Americans fought to end slavery altogether. The abolitionists fought bravely to end the evil institution of slavery, but faced stiff resistance from many Americans.
Good luck on today's reading and follow-up questions. I'm proud of you! Mr. Bruning
Topic: Cold War
Focus Question: Is the image of the “happy 1950s housewife” accurate?
I Can: Analyze the roles of women in the 1950's
- American society in the 1950s was geared towards family.
- Women felt tremendous societal pressure to focus their aspirations on a wedding ring.
- Women DID have other aspirations in life.
- Employment Rates Rose for Woman during this Period.
- Still, the National Agenda was to Focus on the American Family as part of a Propaganda Campaign to Illustrate another form of Superiority over the Soviet Union.
- In the 1950s the feeling was that it was more important for a woman to secure a husband than a college degree.
- Being a single mother was totally unacceptable in the public eye in the 1950s.
- Couples walked down the aisle by the young age of 19 and tended to start families immediately
- Large families were typical
- This was the era of the "Happy Homemaker"
- Yet, Many Women Felt Dissatisfied and Restless and Yearned for More out of Life.
Short Response Writing (RACE)
Is the image of the “happy 1950s housewife” accurate? (Google Document)
Provide one piece of evidence (4 pieces total) from each document to support your claim (Documents A-D in PDF).
Please place an emphasis on personal analysis by including your thoughts, reactions, opinions, feelings, connections of any kind to the text. Mastering this art will take your writing to the next level.