6th Grade: Complete and submit work on Google Classroom by the end of the day
Good morning and Happy Friday scholars! I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!
Let us remember the brave men and women of the United States military and also the courageous front-line workers like doctors, nurses, transit, firefighters, police, EMT, and grocery store clerks who have been there for all of us. We salute and honor them this holiday weekend!
I CAN: DESCRIBE THE REACTION TO THE ABOLITIONIST MOVEMENT IN THE UNITED STATES.
FOCUS QUESTION: PREDICT: HOW DO YOU THINK MOST NORTHERNERS REACTED TO THE ABOLITIONIST MOVEMENT? PUT YOUR ANSWER ON THE STREAM PAGE!!
This week we have examined the role that reformers and abolitionists played in shaping the United States in the early to mid 1800s. These brave men and women often times put themselves in dangerous situations to try to make the country a better and more fair place.
Abolitionists like William Lloyd Garrison, Sarah and Angelina Grimke, Frederick Douglass, Sojourner Truth, and Harriet Tubman risked their own safety to try to end the evil institution of slavery.
How did most Americans react to their heroic efforts? We will soon find out in today's reading!
EXIT QUESTION: IF YOU HAD LIVED IN THE UNITED STATES IN THE MID 1800s WOULD YOU HAVE BEEN AN ABOLITIONIST KNOWING THAT DOING SO WOULD CONTAIN MANY RISKS FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?
Good luck on today's assignment and have a wonderful holiday weekend. I'm proud of you! Mr. Bruning
All 8th Grade Classes will Engage in a Google Meet on Friday 5/22
Topic: Cold War
I Can: Analyze the "Cuban Missile Crisis."
- In 1962 the Soviet Union put nuclear missiles in Cuba.
- The U.S. discovered this by spy satellite, put a blockade around Cuba with Navy warships, and demanded that the missiles be removed.
- For over a week, the U.S. and Soviet Union threatened each other; many people feared that another world war was about to begin – this time with nuclear weapons.
- In the end, the Soviet Union backed down and removed the missiles from Cuba.
Short Response Writing (RACE)
1. Read and Annotate "Cuban Missile Crisis" Text to Develop a Deeper Understanding (PDF)
2. Consider the leadership qualities of each person based on the letters. Provide two pieces of evidence, preferably one for each, to show that they were good leaders?
Please place an emphasis on personal analysis by including your thoughts, reactions, opinions, feelings, connections of any kind to the text. Mastering this art will take your writing to the next level.